Friday, November 21, 2008

Duke University: Center for Documentary Studies: "Looking Back: 9/11 Across America"

I was drawn to Duke University's Center for Documentary Studies podcast, 'Looking Back: 9/11 Across America' because it is the most relevant historical event (besides the recent 2008 election) for my generation. The first half of the podcast is comprised of people across the U.S. telling their story of how they came to understand the events of September 11, 2001.

This is my story: I was in the ninth grade at Gulfport High School. I was in Mr. Hart's Drama I class that September morning. Our class was taking a test and Mr. Hart left his office behind the stage and turned on the TV, mounted on the wall, at the front of the classroom. We looked up in shock. As the video feeds of the New York skyline were playing on the news, our class witnessed, together, the second plane crashing into the second WTC tower. The test was over. A new test would begin that day, that moment, when we, as Americans, realized that our view of the world would forever be changed and challenged. After about fifteen minutes or so of watching the videos replay in slow motion, Mr. Hart turned off the TV and asked us not to share with other classmates in other classes what we had seen. I felt sick. My brother was a freshman at American University in DC. His bedroom window had a majestic view of the Capital Building. A building which was in danger of being destroyed.

I really connected with people's shock in the podcast. As much as I disagreed with what was said by people in the latter half of the podcast, I know it is important to record people's thoughts and emotions on such a dreadful day in U.S. history. The worst quote, in terms of closed-mindedness was a man "I want them to bomb the hell out of Afghanistan. ... because this is the kind of war where there is no clear enemy and we need the support of all these different nations and if anyone is willing to get into the way because of their principles than they should be punished as well, just as they will be." I recall the 'go get 'em' attitude in the weeks following September 11th and it's interesting to note the massive shift in support of the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. I have lots of reasons as to why this happened, but that's another blog.

Overall, I really liked this blog, it helped me reevaluate September 11th, from a distance, now. I appreciate the opportunity to listen to the thoughts of others.

No comments: